Thursday, March 1, 2012

Flying with a 3 month old baby

Flying with a 3 month old baby?
I am flying from Phoenix to Columbus Ohio with my 4 month old baby girl. It'll be the first time flying with her.. Is there anything I should know about flying with babies that young? I am kinda scared because it's almost 4 hrs flight and I'll be flying alone with her. She usually doesn't cry but I am not sure what might happen when flying... I was told they don't have a changing table in the toilet, so how do mothers change their babies diaper? What should I be ready for when flying with a baby this young besides the sucking when landing and taking off?
Newborn & Baby - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I flew with my baby when he was only a month old. There are changing tables on airplanes, so don't worry. When the people see you with an infant, they are REALLY helpful. I would suggest you feed your baby before take off and before landing. Your baby might fuss/cry when take off and landing due to air pressure. You would be fine! don't worry!!
2 :
I traveled with my 7 week old alone for 4 hours. It went really well as she slept most of the time. Bring something for baby to suck on for take off and landing as their ears can bother them from the pressure. Most big planes have a changing table and some small ones don't. My daughter had a *messy* diaper the minute we took off and luckily I had a woman and her daughter sitting next to me who told me to just change her there, that they didn't mind. It wasn't ideal, but I changed her on my lap. Yuck, but what else was there to do? Bring a little toy for her to keep her entertained and a blanket because the plane can be cold.
3 :
Since you are allowed to gate check your stroller what I did was I wore my son in a baby carrier (the Ergo is AMAZING! I used mine until my son was over 15 months..cause it converts from a front to a back carrier) and I put everything else I wanted to take with me in the stroller so I didn't have to carry anything but my son. Plus they aren't allowed to ask you to take the baby off if shes in a carrier...so if shes asleep you wont have to worry about waking her up, just keep in mind she cant be in the carrier during take off or landing. I breastfed my son and took my boppy with me. I know it's close quarters but people would rather have a nursing baby next to them than a screaming one. I just had a blanket over us. If you are bottle feeding then I would make sure you have bottles made, again they aren't allowed to stop you carrying ready-made bottles or water for bottles if its for the baby. Lastly bring new toys and books that baby hasn't seen or played with. I ordered the toys from the top of the bag to the bottom, new toys on top, the last-ditch effort-favorite toy at the bottom. Good luck, like the one of the other people said, most people are really sympatheic and helpful...if you can ask if there are any empty seats so you can get next to one...otherwise PRAY for a grandparent! (They love seeing babies!)
4 :
heyyy im from AZ too.. I hate phoenix :( I think she might be fussy a little being scared and not knowing what is going on, just be sure to give her the right amount of comfort and attention and i think everything wil be okay!
5 :
make sure she's due for a feed or able to suck on your finger or a pacifer for when the plane takes off and comes down again. This will prevent her getting blocked and sore ears. Otherwise flying with little babies is bliss - they find the sound and gentle vibration very soothing and will sleep the whole way - take a good book!

Search News