Saturday, July 21, 2012

Places to stay near Fort Benning, GA

Places to stay near Fort Benning, GA?
I want to go to Ft Benning for my friend's Army graduation and I'm having trouble finding information on the area. How far is Fort Benning, Columbus from Atlanta? I can't seem to get a direct flight there! Are there any hotels in the area that would be close enough to the army base that I wouldn't have to rent a car? Should I just drive down? (I live in NJ- should take about 17 hrs)
Atlanta - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Atlanta to Columbus is an easy drive. Atlanta airport is near I-85 south which will take you directly to Columbus. Less than 2 hours. Columbus has plenty of good hotels. Use Mapquest to get directions. Use Travelocity, Hotels.com or the like to find a hotel. Should be easy.
2 :
First things first: congratulations on your very brave friend and to you for supporting him! Now - it is a very easy drive from Atlanta straight down I-85 probably about 45 min, an hour at the most. You can take one of the smaller planes into the Columbus airport but it will probably be quite expensive. Sometimes there is a 'hospitality hotel' on bases that traveling soldiers and guests can stay in. When my daughter got married on Hunter Army Air Base in Savannah, she was able to reserve rooms for family members. Check out www.benningmwr.com/lodging31905.htm I can't remember any hotels right at the reservation, but there are quite a few of the usual Popular Hotels in Columbus * Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott * Hampton Inn * Marriott Columbus * Residence Inn by Marriott * Hilton Garden Inn * Wingate by Wyndham * The Rothschild Pound House * Wyndham Garden Hotel * Sleep Inn * Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus, GA Good luck in your travels and give my very best to your friend.

Search News