Saturday, April 14, 2012

LAX-NYC-CMH and back... can I just use the LAX-NYC leg or will I get in trouble

LAX-NYC-CMH and back... can I just use the LAX-NYC leg or will I get in trouble?
TO fly to NYC from LA it is about $400. I found a $200 ticket LA-Columbus, Ohio that goes through JFK both ways. Ridiculous but could I take the flights between LA and JFK only?
Air Travel - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
That wouldn't work. You can get to JFK and get off the plane, that's fine. However, when you want to leave JFK and you check in with that airline, one of two things will happen: 1.) The airline has cancelled your return portion because you didn't show up in CMH to fly back to JFK. 2.) The agents at JFK will see what you are doing and they will charge you a change fee to do it. They won't be able to just check you in for the JFK-LAX leg as it's built into the computer as a connection and you must have already checked in at CMH. So they will charge you probably the $100 change fee. Now if that's still less than your direct flights, then you can try it, but I've bust many customers before attempting to do such a thing. My advice would be to just buy the direct trip and save yourself the hassle.
2 :
If you're going to give it a shot, you risk the airline cancelling/taking away your frequent flyer miles, too. I mean, if you don't have any, then go crazy... but I'm not sure it's worth it. Your name will be in their system as a CHEATER. Again, I'm not too worried about losing my friendship with an airline, but hey...
3 :
sure, but they will cancel the return part of your ticket, so you wouldn't be any better off
4 :
Gal, you have to use all the legs on your ticket for the fare. If you do not fly the JFK-CMH leg, the airline will cancel your reservation for the return trip. And the airline would be within its rights to charge your credit card for any additional fare for the one-way trip, if applicable. Regards, Dan

Search News