Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My connecting flight via Northwest was cancelled. Can I recover the cost of rerouting

My connecting flight via Northwest was cancelled. Can I recover the cost of rerouting?
I had to fly to Cleveland instead of Columbus and find a ride home. It will also cost me an extra day of parking in Columbus and the cost of driving there to recover my car. Do I have any recourse?
Air Travel - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It depends on who with connecting flight was with and who booked it. If you booked (or a travel agent) the connecting flight with a different airline, one that doesn't share codes, then you are out of luck. Northwest is only resposible to get you where they have agreed to, not somewhere else. However if it was a Northwest flight or a code sharing partner, they are required to get you to your original destination by federal law. If that is the case, you have a very good chance at getting all of your costs reimbursed. Contact a Northwest rep and file a claim.
2 :
If you were ticketed through all together on one flight PNR (ie, 1 ticketed flight itinerary), then the airline does not have any liability if they get you to your destination within 4 hours of the original scheduled arrival time. After 4 hours, then the big compensation kicks in--such as putting you on another airline even if first class is all that's availble, etc. If you chose to forego the final flight segment which they re-routed you with (I'm guessing), then that was your choice to forego any compensation.

Search News